Sunday, October 19, 2008

Hymn, Vigil of Nativity of St. John Baptist (Jun. 23)

The meter of this hymn is 87.87.D, and the tune suggested is "Nettleton," found in Worship III as hymn #535, "God, We Praise You."



Hear the word of God, which thundered:

"E'er I formed you in the womb,

I have called you to My service

Prophet in the nation's gloom"

"Lord, my years are few; I know not

How to speak or serve You best!"

God responded, "I am with you,

There to save in time of test!



As he served in Temple precints,

Zecharaiah heard a voice,

Telling him his wife, though barren,

Would bring forth a son most choice.

"This your son shall be Forerunner,

All shall in his birth be blest;

For his preaching will prepare them

For the Hope of the Oppressed."



In this birth, then, Christian people,

God has pointed out the way

That His Son, our true Messiah,

Would be shown us on that day.

For Saint John, we raise our voices,

With the Church above, below:

To the Father, Son, and Spirit,

May our endless praises flow!

No comments: