Sunday, October 19, 2008

Commentary: Nativity of St. John Baptist (Jun. 24)

The Introit for today's solemnity is taken from the text of today's First Reading: Isaiah 49, 1-2: "From my mother's womb, the Lord called me by my name, and he made my mouth like a sharpened sword; he concealed me in the shadow of his arm, and made me a chosen arrow." The antiphon is sung with the first verses of Psalm 91, "It is good to give thanks to the Lord; to sing praise to your Name, O Most High."

[Side comment: This text is from the "Roman Gradual," which gives the text and music for the Eucharistic celebrations according to the Roman Rite. It is NOT the same text as the one given at 'Introductory Rites' in the Sacramentary, which is a conflation of John 1:6-7 and Luke 1:17---There was a man sent from God whose name was John. He came to bear witness to the Light, to prepare an upright people for the Lord."]

The Communion Antiphon from the "Roman Gradual"is taken from the Gospel of the Day, Luke 1:76, which sings: "You, child, shall be called the prophet of the Most High, for you shall go befor the face of the Lord to prepare His way."

No comments: