Sunday, October 19, 2008

Aren't some feast days missing hymns?

Some people have asked: "What about hymns for Ascension, Pentecost, Trinity, and Body and Blood of Christ?"

My response: There are so many incredibly lovely hymns for those feast days that I have chosen not to write for them---I don't want to supplant the already extant body of hymnody, but to SUPPLEMENT it with hymns that specifically match the Lectionary on a given Sunday.

This is also true of the Sundays of Advent and for Christmas.

Exceptions happen: I have a hymn for the Vigil of Pentecost (which I'll post up here today) and also that Pentecost hymn to the tune of "Thaxted," which was a request--for that matter, so was the Vigil hymn .

I do have hymns for the feast of the Sacred Heart of Jesus for all three Lectionary cycles, because that seemed quite necessary. Also, I was working at St. Peter's in the Loop when those were composed--and the Franciscan Friars staffing SPL were of the Province of the Sacred Heart of Jesus.

In a similar vein, I am writing hymns to go with the three Lectinoary cycles for the feast of the Holy Family, because "generic family hymns" simply don't do those cycles of readings any justice, nor do they place the celebration in the context of the Christmas feast.

No comments: