Sunday, October 19, 2008

Hymn, 12th Sunday OT A

The readings for this Sunday are: Jeremiah 20: 10-13; Romans 5:12-15; Matthew 10;26-33.



The meter of the hymn is 98.98.88. The tune, called Ich sterbe taeglich (which means "I die daily" in German), is not known by Roman Catholic congregations in the USA, but is very popular among the Lutherans of the LC-MS (Missouri Synod) and the WELS (Wisconsin Synod), where it is sung to the communion text, "I Come, O Savior, to Your Table." It can be found in the "Lutheran Service Book" (LC-MS) at #618, and in "Christian Worship--a Lutheran Hymnal" (WELS) at #310.



As Jeremiah heard the whispers

Of foes on each and ev'ry side,

He turned to God, the mighty Champion,

And trusted safely to abide.

Lord, in Your great love answer me;

From ev'ry terror, set me free.



"Fear not the ones who hurt the body,"

The vhoice of Christ tells us today,

"But rather flee from lasting terror;

Acknowledge Me in ev'ry way!"

Lord, in Your great love, answer me;

That true to You I e'er may be.



Just as through one, sin and death entered,

So through just One, does grace abound;

Through God the Father and Christ Jesus

The way to endless life is found.

Lord, in your great love, answer me,

That through Your grace I may be free!

No comments: